You love shopping the City Market Downtown on 104th Street and in City Hall. We know you’d love working for us too. We are looking for a part time Marketing Coordinator to help us tell our story.
Read on for more details and how to apply. Applications must be submitted by Wednesday, May 22 so get your covering letter and CV into us soon!
Marketing Coordinator for the City Market Downtown
The Edmonton Downtown Farmers’ Market Association, which operates the City Market Downtown, recognizes that the key contributors to our success are our employees. We are a non-profit organization. Our association has played a pivotal role in creating an impressive local shopping destination which attracts on average more than 25,000 customers in the outdoor season and 4,000 customers in the indoor season. Our market operates outdoors on 104 Street downtown Edmonton from May long weekend to the Thanksgiving weekend in October. We then move indoors inside Edmonton City Hall for the fall, winter and spring seasons.
We pride ourselves in attracting and retaining great vendors. Since 2004, the City Market Downtown has grown from 30 to 40 vendors to 180 in 2013. We are an Approved Farmers’ Market under the umbrella of Alberta Agriculture. We are a make it, bake it, grow or raise it type of market.
We are seeking a part-time Marketing Coordinator (15-20 hours) to help us tell our great story. The primary responsibility of the Marketing Coordinator is to ensure that the City Market Downtown is marketed and promoted to attract and draw customers, vendors and greater community involvement.
Reporting directly to the Administrative Manager and indirectly to the Chair of the Board of Directors, the Marketing Coordinator plays a significant role in executing the marketing needs of City Market Downtown on 104th and in City Hall.
Role and Responsibilities
As the Marketing Coordinator, you will be responsible for:
• Communications with vendors to apprise them of the marketing and PR efforts of the market
• Coordinate and implement all marketing and promotional material including advertising, brochures, signage, online and digital
• Website content management and overall maintenance
• Managing the market’s social media networks (Facebook and Twitter)
• Developing story ideas for the market’s blog, and writing and posting one blog post (written or video) per week
• Writing product descriptions, advertorials, brochure, newsletter copy
• Coordinating the placement of advertisements in traditional media and research of new media.
• Proactive public relations opportunities for the market and its vendors
• General administrative support to including creation of a marketing budget, and tracking and reporting
• Maintaining of key media relationships (City Hall, DECL, 104 Street Business Association, etc.)
• Be an ambassador of City Market to current and potential vendors.
• A diploma or degree in Business, Marketing and/or Business Administration
• At least 3 years’ experience in similar role, marketing or project
• Experience in working with WordPress sites and blogs
• Demonstrated experience in managing an organization’s social media accounts and voice
• Proven success in a fast-paced, high volume workload environment
• Ability to conceptualize, innovate, and drive marketing and PR initiatives
• Ability to develop and execute a marketing strategy
• Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
• Demonstrated initiative, creativity and originality
• Self-motivated and an ability to work independently and in a team environment
• Strong and confident communicator
• High proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, WordPress, Facebook and Twitter
• Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
• Build trust, value others, communicate effectively, drive execution, foster innovation, focus on the customer, collaborate with others, solve problems creatively and demonstrate high integrity
• Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
• Detail and results orientated
• Organization and time management skills
• Able to manage multiple projects and deadlines
• Problem solving and critical thinking skills
Why City Market Downtown?
Our benefits include:
Flexible hours: A minimum of 4 hours a week to be spent at the Saturday market getting to know vendors and their products. The successful candidate will perform their duties from a home or other office. Outside of the time spent at the Market on Saturdays, there is flexibility in when the remaining hours are performed. The Marketing Coordinator must be readily available via email or phone during regular business hours and during Market hours.
The wage is $25.00 to $30.00 per hour, depending on experience.
We provide health and dental coverage for our employees and their families, and a YMCA membership for employees & their families.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a covering letter outlining why you want to be a part of Edmonton’s oldest and most vibrant farmers’ market, and a resume, to:
Diana Neubauer, Administrative Manager
Mail: Box 1214 Main Post Office, Edmonton, AB T5J 2M4
Phone: (780) 429-5713
Deadline for applications is Wednesday, May 22, 2013, or until a suitable candidate is found.
Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Every Saturday at 9 a.m. the opening of the City Market Downtown is signalled by the traditional ringing of the big bell. On August 11th, with heavy hearts, friends gathered to hear Dieter Kuhlmann, Chair of the EDFMA Board, dedicate this perpetual symbol of our market to the memory of our dear friend, Kevin Fox, who passed away in the spring.Read More»
Canada Day at the City Market Downtown is one of our most favourite days. With flags waving and people wearing red and white, the atmosphere is one of pride.Read More»
We love Canada Day! It’s always a great day at the City Market, and this year we have two special guests performing — Aytahn Ross of Circus Montreal and Kim Potter from Kiwi Comedy – AND for the first time ever, we’ll be doing a Market Wide Scavenger Hunt! It’s only from 9:00 until noon and the best prizes go to the first 50 who complete the hunt!! Get your clues here!Read More»